Wednesday 22 April 2015

Travel Cake (vintage suitcase, camera and globe)

"Around the World in 80 Years" A cake for a fabulous lady!  Actually, 3 cakes in 1!



The vintage suitcase was a white almond sour cream cake with white chocolate raspberry buttercream. The camera was chocolate with chocolate ganache covered in black fondant and hand painted details - yes, all cake!  The globe was a spice cake with salted buttercream filling.




And, of course, I added one of my "trademark" gum paste figurines: the birthday girl sitting atop a suitcase and a Canadian passport.  Plus I threw on a little gum paste roll of film - 80 exposure of course.  (I also tried out a new technique for creating the look of concrete on the cake board, which may be my new favorite).   Lots of support, skewers and melted chocolate "glue" as the cake had to travel from Abbotsford to Victoria by ferry.  But I'm told it made it there in one piece!



2 comments:

  1. Geralyn, you have created yet another masterpiece. I love your creativity and humor. Please start practicing on healthy ingredients as I must have one of these when I am in your neck of the woods!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helene! Funny that you say that.. The last cake I did was a gluten and milk free cake. Still full of sugar but a bit healthier ;-)

    ReplyDelete